Manage your business


File if your company requires changes to membership, addresses or company name.

+ State Fees
Contact sales

"I'm happy you guys are aware of start up requirements. You are able to take care of essentials that I did not how to do."

Monica L.

"Prompt, efficient, easy - especially for those with either too little time or too little experience. It is an essential tool in the business toolbox. Everything that helps make a business move with little or no friction is ideal

dANNY y.

"Jumpstart has created the optimal experience for a new business owner such as myself. Online LLC setup and annual report filing was very simple to do! Thanks again."

khelton c.
gamers pub llc.

Change your Company Name

What is an Amendment?

When you first filed to become a legal business entity, part of the process included creating Articles of Incorporation or Articles of Organization. The information that you submitted contained the name of the business, which business structure best suited your needs (such as an LLC, S Corporation, C Corporation or a Nonprofit Corporation), the appointed registered agent's name and contact information, the effective date in which you started the business and the names of the current partners or shareholders.

As time passes and businesses evolve, you may find that you are in a situation where your business name no longer fits the services you provide or perhaps the leadership team of your company is undergoing changes. Any major event that alters the information on your Articles of Incorporation or Articles of Organization needs to be reported to your secretary of state by filing an Articles of Amendment form.

Contact Sales

Frequently asked questions

What business changes can be reported in an Articles of Amendment form?

Common changes to file for an amendment with the secretary of state are: 1. Changes to the company name, 2. Updates to the registered agent's contact information, 3. New company business address, 4. Director or member information, 5. Number of authorized shares and 6. Change in business activities. Most items that are listed on the original articles can be changed by filing an amendment other than the filing date, incorporator or organizer. You cannot change a registered agent through an Articles of Amendment.

What information is required to file?

The basic information needed includes your current entity name, the name you wish to change it to (if applicable), the text of the new amendments that you are adopting, and the date on which each amendment was adopted (some states require member or board of directors voting to pass these amendments), if there is a delay in the date as to when the amendment will be adopted and the name(s) and address(es) of the individual(s) who are submitting this document to be delivered for filing (many states require the signatures of the president and secretary of your company).

Why do I need to file?

Information in the articles of organization is a matter of public record, so LLCs need to make sure that their Articles of Organization on file list the correct information, including company name, owners and managers of the company. If a dispute arises involving ownership, the information contained in the company’s Articles of Organization will be used to prove who owns the company. If a name dispute arises with another company, this also ensures your legal rights.

How do I submit it?

These forms need to either be mailed to your secretary of state or delivered in person to their office. Some states do offer online forms, but as in Maryland, online forms are considered expedited and can cost an additional fee. However, Incfile can take care of filing your Articles of Amendment for you.

How much does it cost to file?

The state fee varies by state. Our service fee to file Articles of Amendment is $99.

How long does it take to file?

The filing time is dependent on the governing state agency and varies by state. For example, in California the process takes over eight weeks. Many states do offered expedited service for an additional fee.


We’re here to help!

Our filing specialists  are ready to help! Get expert guidance on starting and managing your company.

Contact Support

Ready to start your dream business?

Don't wait. Hundreds of entrepreneurs have already started their businesses!

Get Started