Manage your business

Form 8832 - Entity Classification

Classify your entity tax status as a corporation, partnership, or disregarded entity.

+ State Fees
Contact sales

"I'm happy you guys are aware of start up requirements. You are able to take care of essentials that I did not how to do."

Monica L.

"Prompt, efficient, easy - especially for those with either too little time or too little experience. It is an essential tool in the business toolbox. Everything that helps make a business move with little or no friction is ideal

dANNY y.

"Jumpstart has created the optimal experience for a new business owner such as myself. Online LLC setup and annual report filing was very simple to do! Thanks again."

khelton c.
gamers pub llc.

About Form 8832

What is Form 8832 Entity Classification Election?

An eligible entity uses Form 8832 to elect how it will be classified for federal tax purposes, as:

  • A corporation.
  • A partnership.
  • An entity disregarded as separate from its owner.

If an entity classification is not filed with the IRS, there are certain default rules under which the business will fall. The key for the default classification is whether a member has limited liability. If the foreign entity has two or more members and at least one member does not have limited liability, the default is to be classified as a partnership. If all of the members of the foreign entity have limited liability, the default is for the entity to be treated as an association and taxable as a corporation. Lastly, if the entity has one single owner, and that owner does not have limited liability with respect to that entity, the entity by default will be a disregarded entity for U.S. taxation purposes.

If you're an LLC or partnership, use Form 8832 if you want to be taxed as a C-corp, partnership, or a sole proprietor. Meanwhile, Form 2553 is for LLCs or corporations that want to be taxed as S-corps. Keep this in mind: If you're filing Form 2553, you don't need to file Form 8832.

Frequently asked questions

Who should file this?

Only eligible businesses, including U.S.-based partnerships, U.S.-based limited liability companies (LLCs), and certain foreign entities can file IRS Form 8832 to elect to be taxed as a C-corporation, a partnership, or a sole proprietorship.

When to file it?

Form 8832 must be filed between one year prior and 75 days after its effective date. Most LLCs want their Form 8832 to be effective for their first tax year, so the form must be filed no sooner than one year and no later than 75 days after beginning business.

Where do I file?

File Form 8832 with the Internal Revenue Service Center for your state listed later. In addition, attach a copy of Form 8832 to the entity's federal tax or information return for the tax year of the election.


We’re here to help!

Our filing specialists  are ready to help! Get expert guidance on starting and managing your company.

Contact Support

Ready to start your dream business?

Don't wait. Hundreds of entrepreneurs have already started their businesses!

Get Started